Blog is currently suspended, but if I think of anything I'll put it down. That Allstate commercial is pissing me off recently so I'm sure I'll think of something. Thanks for reading.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

FLOMAX: The Pal-ing Around Old Men


Although this commercial was mercifully pulled from the airwaves this year, it has a special place in my heart because it is ultimately what inspired this blog. This ad was so freaking horrible that I just had to write about it. Even if it is no longer on TV, it will live on forever here as the worst commercial ever (until further notice).

Here is the original review:
I get pretty pissed off every time I see the Flomax commercial, which is just about every TV timeout of every NFL football game. Over the course of a Sunday, I will have watched the jovial old men bike, kayak, grill and "pal around" for almost an hour.

I don't know, you tell me. Does your fifty to sixty year old father kayak? Does your fifty to sixty year old father bike in the woods? Mine sure as hell doesn't. And he certainly does not hang out with three other dudes on the weekend unless the sport of golf is involved. Even then there is certainly no "pal-ing around" with the other members of a foursome.

"Pal-ing around” for those of you not familiar with the term is the act of joking, rib punching and general grab-assing done by the gentlemen in the Flomax commercial. "Pal-ing around" is only acceptable in society when performed by males under the age of 16 who are trying to pick up a chick for the first time. Because teens haven’t yet hit on chicks, they are limited to lame routines such as "pal-ing around." This is acceptable as I said because there is nothing else in the playbook. For fifty to sixty year old men, “pal-ing around” is not acceptable at any time, ever.

Now that we have that established that, I will take a quick moment to ensure you that I do not wish to minimize or trivialize the symptoms for which Flomax is used. I know the prostate has been the butt of many jokes in the past, but I don't think it's that funny. In fact, I don't even want to think about it.

I am just having trouble getting my arms around why a healthy prostate means I have to go hang out with other old dudes and pal around. I guess I am missing something.

No comments: